Four Lane Highway



This is a story of a series of unfortunate events. And true to Murphy's law, everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. I know this seems like a concluding statement, but I’m an impatient guy, and hence should be given some liberties as such.

A trip to Bheemeshwari; rumoured to be beautiful, a place of green and blue.  Anticipations were high, after a stressful week at work, a chance to unwind and relax. Four people, two bikes. One rented FZ in reasonably good condition, and a old rickety Discover 150, which ran more on faith than on petrol.

First item on agenda naturally for me, was breakfast, for which we confidently  went to MTR. It opens at 7:30 am , I assured them.  As a prelude to the rest of the day, it was not open. 

We waited about 15 mins, after which, to my relief, they opened. We had a sumptuous breakfast. Deepika chose idli vada, Ken got some sweet Chandrahara, Sandeep settled for medu vada. I wanted wheat dosa, but the cashier looked busy, so I also settled for idli instead, to make his life easier. Meh.

Straight to petrol bunk at Kagalipura. We filled up the tanks. Bonjour then. Deepika was only used to driving an activa, and Ken was used to driving people crazy. Leaving me & Sandeep as bold risk takers, by letting them both take a try at riding geared bikes. Deepika actually was driving pretty well, once she got the vehicle up & running. The biggest challenge with FZ was finding the ‘neutral’ which the company decided to hide inconveniently somewhere.


All was going well until we reached Kanakapura town. Then we couldn’t find Sandeep and Ken who were on another bike. And Deepika pointed me in the direction of Sangam. We took a left turn. Then we get an angry call from Sandeep, informing that we had taken the wrong turn. 

Bowing to his superior navigational skills, we came back to meet them where they were waiting. Leaving nothing to chance we decided to trust google maps to guide us henceforth ( You will see the irony of this soon). 


We travelled around 70 kms, and the journey was breathtakingly beautiful. Scenic mountains, cold morning mist, slight drizzling rain, not too much traffic, out of network coverage, mostly even roads.  Ken’s flailing attempts at riding the bike.
Life couldn’t be better.




We reached the police check post at “ Bheemeshwari Nature Camp ”. The security guards were friendly enough, a cursory bag check, and we were in. Another trail to wherever was the destination. Seeing that we were off the main roads, we decided to give the bikes to the novice riders. I was on pillion, Deepika was driving FZ. And we were moving smoothly. Encouraged by Ken & Sandeep’s claims of wildlife sightings (Deer, Wild Boar, Mongoose), we decided to find some wildlife of our own. Other than some ‘wild’ cows and ‘wild’ goats we saw nothing. Then I heard a sudden exclamation from Deepika “ Vishnu, look at that bird”. I looked, and found the road rushing up to meet me. And in a split second Deepika was having a bloody face, and i was wondering where the bird was.

Predictably, she and even me , were first searching for her brand new Oneplus 6 mobile. Once the mobile’s safety was ensured, I saw her face again. There were at-least 2 cuts which were bleeding , and she was spitting blood too. While I have seen my share of vampire diaries, the sight of blood was still unsettling. People who were driving by stopped their vehicles and were offering help. Imagine my surprise in finding so many helpful people. By that time Sandeep & Ken came back looking for us. And Sandeep was promptly shocked to see Deepika’s blood streaked face. I’m sure Ken was also very concerned, and he was keeping emotions well away from his face, so as to not frighten Deepika (duh).
And i was of course calm and composed and speaking to Deepika in soothing voices, she however looked like she was going to hit me . Some people, eh. No soothing them.

Anyway, we slowly climbed onto bikes, me riding the discover bike this time. And then we waited for Sandeep to catch up. Only to go back and discover the FZ was not starting, and had more people crowding around concerned. I joked to Deepika there were more people concerned about the bike than her. Again she refused to see the humour in that. I know she cannot laugh out aloud with bleeding teeth and lips and all. But at-least she could have made an effort. Again, some people, eh.
On the way out the security guy was screaming at us “ I had told you not to give bike to the girl !” .
We just rode on.

Finally we found a govt hospital after much looking around. People on the street were actually volunteering directions to the hospital looking at Deepika. However there was this one gentleman who asked what we were looking for . I mean, a girl is bleeding from her face very visibly, did he think we were looking for a party place?
At the govt hospital, the nurse seemed very experienced. She cleaned up Deepika’s wounds and gave her a TT & Pain killer injections. And now that Deepika was safe, I knew that my smaller wounds could use some cleaning up too. The nurse was very persistent on painkiller & TT injections for me also. In the end I accepted , because there was still riding back to conquer the place that had rejected us once.


With Deepika’s face sporting many bandages, we set out on a noble venture. To hunt for lunch. We found what seemed like a “beer & chilli chicken” kind of place,
with small huts to have food. With my only vegetarian friend having broken tooth 
and scant appetite, I felt one place is as good as another. There was 2 plates of 
chicken godavari, chicken biryani & sprite bottles for Sandeep, and the rest of us
also ordered some little food. The lunch was uneventful. 


With grim determination we set out again. Only to find that my bike wouldn’t start.
We pushed and kicked and called it many names. But the bike seemed adamant.
Then after a while the bike gave up , and started. We rode and reached the 
check posts again. The same security guy with strong opinions on girls on bikes.
He looked scoffed and still dismissive. I waved at him cheerfully and said “ It’s us again” .He had a small smile while we moved on. I like winning over ignorant people, will be useful if I ever go into politics.



 We rode for 17 kilometers inside the forest. It was good roads, with some occasionally challenging stretches in between. We saw people in a car feeding biscuits to the monkeys. There was a prominent board by Forest Department “ Don’t feed the monkeys”. I rolled my eyes wondering whether these people would have thrown away Rs.120 per kg apples with the same ease. Monkeys should be after all feeding on fruits. It is very easy to be generous, when it is not costing you much, i guess.
Then we pass the monkey feeding geniuses, only to find Sandeep & Ken’s bike missing again. Deepika was concerned, “Was there a diversion, a smaller road or something we missed?”, “Did they fall off the ledge” , “ Nah, we would have heard at least Sandeep’s scream”.  I was having some doubts of my own, but acted nonchalant. But after a few kilometres I also got genuinely concerned. They should have stopped somewhere...If they are dead, how will I explain to the police! How would we find the bodies. Aren’t there wild animals anyway, maybe I need not worry about bodies. There was no mobile network coverage anywhere.

We thought we will get to another checkpost , or some main road. Only to find these gentlemen sitting on a stone , after a curve. I turned off my bike and got off for some well-deserved shouting at them and then rest.

This stop over was also beautiful. Set in a valley between two great mountains, lush green, and the light rains visited us again. A small personal piece of heaven. Envying our unexpected good fortune, lady luck spurned us again.  We were ready to leave, and again my bike wouldn’t start. Everyone tried everything. Half an hour of pushing, kicking, praying. The bike wouldn’t budge, like it’s revenge for the rough roads.
I was imagining ways to fight off wild animals. Meanwhile, Sandeep showing some sense, stopped some random strangers for help. And help they did! There were six people on three bikes. They spent another half hour trying to repair the bike with some tools they had. A lot of time and effort.The rain returned. This amazing bunch of people kept trying.
My whole world view was challenged.
The verdict was that the bike wouldn’t start. I thought maybe they will leave, they had tried after all. Reality doesn’t care much about my predictions apparently. Much of their conversation was in kannada. And i was proud to be a person from kerala, who understood kannada best in our little group of misfits. I gathered they were concerned of our survival. Apparently my bike didn’t believe in half measures.
It was bent to kill. We were stuck in a trail famous for wild elephant crossing.

We four engineers were thinking furiously on a way out. Meanwhile a middle aged man, on their side, found a discarded cycle tyre, found an ingenious way to join our bike to their bike, and tow it away. They offered to tow us till the check post, where there is mobile signal and a way to call for help. One of our bike being out of commission we had to be transported in batches, Deepika and Sandeep left first,
Ken being the second got to see some shaking trees, as for me i was glad i could see some elephants at some distance. Before they could stomp us all, we left the elephant zone.
We reached the check post. I was thinking of what next. When the leader of their gang started discussing with the group. “ These guys are going to be stuck here. Especially on a Sunday, which mechanic is going to come from the city ?”..
I gathered from my limited kannada knowledge. They finally decided to take us to a mechanic in the city , 10 kms away. I started thinking, nobody will help so much without some incentive, they should be expecting some money.
How much should I pay? What they did is invaluable. We could have been stuck in the forest with an injured girl. With rains, no food or water, and quite away from civilization. We could be dead or worse - wet and cold.
So what is the price of life, safety and comfort? Rs.500, I decided.






The ride back to city was enjoyable. Now that the problems were sorted, albeit temporarily. We reached the mechanic’s shop. I whispered to the leader of the gang ( I found his name was Shiva), “ Can I give you guys some money, we would have been stuck without you people “.
Imagine the guts of the bloody nice person, he refused me with a smile. I was so offended. But hiding all that , I smiled and bid goodbye to our benefactors.
The bike would be finally repaired now. Right?
Weren’t you following our day? Of course the bike couldn’t be repaired. And we are 78 Kms away from home, and it 5:30 PM. We managed to get it started temporarily . Sandeep drove the troublesome bike, with Ken. Me & Deepika on FZ. We decided to surrender the quest to Bheemeshwari. Better to recuperate and fight again.
On the road to Kanakpura our nearest civilization, which is 18 km away from us and still 55 Kms away from Bangalore, I enjoyed the roadside scenery,..” man lost in the desert must take such water as he is offered, no matter who it comes from.” 

The day was over, we were on our way back. No more challenges. Or so we thought. We travel some distance to find Sandeep and Ken on side of highway kicking the bike again. The sky is dark, though it is hardly 7 pm. We have some tough decisions to make. Sandeep voices what i thinking. Maybe it's time to dump the bike, for now. 
We go on to pipeline road, which is a smaller lane parallel to main Kanakapura road. Almost deserted. We dump the bike onto the road side. I try in vain to hide it with grasses, to make it less noticeable. Ken comes in drops some grass on his own,
like flowers at a funeral.
As deepika laughs through all the pain, at our valiant efforts. Ken marked that location in google maps, so that we can come tomorrow to find it ( Marked as, Vishnu’s bike - RIP).
Now we need a way to get back , four of us, with 1 bike. Sandeep again shows
his ‘street-smarts’ by flagging down an ape truck. They agree to take us to Bangalore. So Deepika, Ken and me go on the truck, along with the bike. Sandeep follows on FZ. There was a moment of confusion near Harohalli, where the truck people asked us to get off. They thought they were going in a different route than where we wanted. After sometime they resolved the issue themselves, as all of us, were too tired to argue.



Remember the irony with google maps and navigation from the beginning of the story? So the maps led us to a beautiful enough location, true enough, but that was not the location we had planned to go. The Fates and nature screwed up even technology. But all that is in the past. There was some rain again. And I was smiling and laughing throughout the journey back.
Everything that could go wrong had gone wrong. But I was just feeling so happy. 
I had never faced so many problems in one day. The very survival was an achievement. In the end, we didn’t go into the river, we didn’t splash around in water. But I’ve done all that before, we all had. But I had never had six random people help me wholeheartedly without any reason, never had to lift a bike to a truck, and travel in one, at night while it was raining. Never had I ever felt more alive. 
On second thoughts, I think the pain killer they injected in the afternoon contained something like morphine.
May be the happiness was more of drug high. Yeah, that should be it.
After all, I can’t have all of my worldview rewritten in a day. Now you see why the title makes no sense, life sometimes doesn’t.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An improbable combination

The Price Of Freedom

The Ignorance Economy